August 29, 2010

Putting pen to paper ... so to speak

Someone asked me the other day why I was writing this blog, what was it's purpose, what would I get out of it.  While at first I thought it was just for fun, I realize now that I'm hoping it will make me accountable.  Being a sports nut I'm a pretty competitive person; I've often recited to others a favourite saying of mine ... "losing is for losers".  I hate to lose, and I hate to fail, especially in front of people !!  It's easy to brush aside a task or goal as failed or unfinished when no one else knows you had it to begin with; but to fail in front of the world is another story.  Okay, so maybe "the world" isn't reading my blog, but you know what I mean.  I think that's why places like Weight Watchers and Alcoholics Anonymous are so successful (I've been to one, not the other ... yet).  Getting up in front of a group of your peers and having them witness your successes or failures in itself can drive success, at least for some - so I'm hoping that's what this blog will do for me.

In the now 41 days of my new-found freedom, I can honestly say I haven't accomplished a whole heck of a lot.  The first two weeks I got caught up on some household chores, went to the gym a lot, golfed a few times, and overall relaxed quite a bit :)  Week 3 I went on vacation to a friend's cottage.  Can you call it vacation when you're not working and go away ??  I looked up the definition of vacation online and got the following:

- a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday

Hmmmm, perhaps not ... so let's just say I went to a friend's cottage.  I swam, golfed, lounged, drank, and relaxed some more.  So far I was really enjoying this forced hiatus !! 

When I got back from the cottage however, I started to feel guilty and decided to get started on answering my "what to do" question.  I dusted off my resume and watched a couple of (useless) webinars on how to update it, plus a few others.  I read a couple of books on success, and tried to come up with a plan of attack.

I figure I basically have 3 options for what I want to do with my life:

1) Get a replacement job - another job in Finance doing work similar to my previous job
2) Get a job in a different field - hence the name of my blog
3) Start a business of my own


These options are actually listed in reverse order to my actual preferences.  Ideally I would love to have my own business.  Who doesn't want to be their own boss, work on their own terms and determine their own fate ??  It's risky, but could also be very rewarding if it worked out.  Second to that I would love to change my career, because as I stated in an earlier post I felt bored and unfulfilled doing the monotony of accounting and finance.  However despite what my former boss thinks, I'm good at it, so perhaps I should stick with what I know and take the safe route to career success ???

I still had many unanswered questions, so I decided to help me with my queries I should develop a wish list; put pen to paper and come up with a list of things that I wanted in life ... perhaps that would shed some light and help direct me to my future.  So here it is, my wish list in life:

  • I wish I was taller
  • I wish I had bigger boobs
  • I wish I could eat and drink anything I wanted, never step foot in a gym again, yet still stay slim and trim
  • I wish that despite countless hours at the gym I didn't have giggly arms, cellulite on the thighs, and a gunt (if you don't know what it means, look it up)
  • I wish I could have more great sex without the complications of a relationship
Oh wait a minute ... perhaps this should be a "career" wish list, things that I want in relation to my work life and career.  Sorry about that folks !!  Here is my career  wish list ...
  • I wish I had a job that I LOVE !!
  • I wish I had job security
  • I wish I could make a shitload of money
  • I wish I had a job that offered lots of freedom and flexibilty
  • I wish I had a job where I didn't have to sit at a desk all day, and, to borrow a phrase from my ex-husband, develop "office ass"
  • I wish I had a job where I could help people and feel the rewards that come from helping others
So there you have it.  I think in reviewing this list it reaffirms that I need to start in reverse order of my 3 options above ... however sometimes reality takes the place of desire.  Time to do some research and narrow down my options.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Tina, good post. I think having your own business or trying another field is reasonable. You do have an understanding of finance that most people starting a new business don't have. That's a big plus imho. It's just a matter of as you say research and a narrowing of options. Would you want to for example open a sporting goods store, or something else sports related. since it's one of your passions.

    It sounds to me like you are on the right track at least. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete