June 9, 2011

"Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong

I have 2 good news stories to share today:

1) I passed my exam and am now officially a certified Personal Trainer !!  My official designation is C.F.T. - Certified Fitness Trainer. Each of the educators that offer personal training certification programs has different titles, but they all basically mean the same thing.  The exam was tougher than I thought, which is definitely a good thing. My thoughts on anyone attempting to cheat turned out to be erroneous ... it would have been extremely difficult if not impossible to fake your way through that thing. 

I am certified with the International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA), and the buzz in fitness circles is this is one of the tougher and more respected designations. Of course I knew that going in, and this was one of the main reasons I chose to go with them.  It's also American, which means my certification is valid if I ever chose to move to the U.S.  Most of the Canadian ones are not transferrable in the States. 

2) I got a job :)  It’s at a very prestigious tennis/squash/fitness club, with 4 locations in Toronto.  And I mean prestigious ... the first year annual membership is over $1300, and the basic personal training rate is $70 an hour.  Needless to say I would not be a member there myself at those prices, but one of the perks of being employed there is I can use the facilities for free, not to mention discounts at the pro shop, bistro and spa :) 

Initially I will start as a Fitness Consultant working the gym floor, helping members with inquiries and advising them with regards to equipment use and proper form.  I will also be doing fitness assessments and designing programs for new and renewing members, and leading a circuit training program for newly signed clientele.  There is no pressure to sell; I can work as a Fitness Consultant forever and ever if I so desire ... however we all know this is not the plan. I can start training anytime I like. I can find my own clients, and doing assessments and programs is a great way to do this.  When the sales staff get members inquiring about training they pass them along to the trainers, so some of my business will come from that as well. 

They also have no problem with me doing training outside of their place of business, as long as they are not a member of their club. This means I can go ahead as planned and try and get business in my condo, or anywhere else for that matter. Before I attempt that I still have to get a few things in order, such as liability insurance, a business registration etc., and perhaps a few small pieces of equipment to perform my own fitness assessments. It may take me a few weeks to get all this in order, although I'm anxious as hell to get started.

On top of all that, I'm feeling fantastic these days !!  My running program is going great; I'm in week 3 and have not missed any runs, and even managed to get out on those few sweltering hot days. I've lost the excess weight I was struggling so hard with earlier and I'm very pleased with that, and of course just in time to start training. Gotta show my clients that I practice what I preach right ??

I get my last piece of furniture (a sofa bed) delivered to my condo on Friday, and that means I will finally be fully settled there too. And I am loving condo life !!  I sit out on my balcony more than I ever sat on the back patio of my house  Rather than staring at a fence and endless rows of other houses, I have a great view with so much see it's truly awesome.  I bought a great high balcony patio set, and I even planted a small garden out there, something I never did in my house.

I can't believe how much my life has turned around in a little less than a year. I have made a complete 180 with my life, and I must say it's all for the better.  Just prior to getting fired I never would have guessed I'd be where I am today and doing what I'm doing. And truth be told I had some doubt as to whether or not I made the right decisions when I committed to this career change, or whether or not I could actually make it work. But now I know for certain I did the right thing ... I'm living the dream baby !!  When it comes to work I'm still at the beginning stages, but I can now see that elusive light at the end of the tunnel.

Next stop ... nutrition !!  Oh yes, I forgot to mention; my new workplace also has a nutrition counseling program, so as soon as I earn that certification I can start doing that as well.

Life's good my friends :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment