January 29, 2011

Heading Back to the T Dot :)))

I’ve found my new home :)  As expected the search itself was a true pain in the butt.  Having the freedom to move pretty much anywhere I want with no limitations actually made it a lot harder than usual.  There are so many choices out there !!

Ideally I’d love to move somewhere where it’s sunny and warm all the time.  If I never see snow again for the rest of my life, I’d be one happy camper.  And these sub-zero temperatures can kiss my ass.  However the reality is this is not an easy task.  Since 9/11, relocating to the U.S. is a lot harder now, and sadly I don’t really have any special skills to get myself a job and/or work visa down there.  And I don’t know that I’m brave enough to move abroad.  20 years ago maybe, but unfortunately with age comes cowardice.

So that pretty much leaves Canada, and there’s nowhere I’d rather live in Canada than right here in Toronto.  I am counting the days until I get out of Brampton, and even though my new home is a mere 40 km away from my current home, it’s like a completely different world.  As I fought my way through traffic on the 401 yesterday to meet the realtor and sign the paperwork, I felt an incredible sense of excitement pulsing through my veins.

I’m not quite in the heart of Toronto, but in my opinion, just close enough.  Although I looked at various options, I decided to go the condo route.  I’m giving myself one year to test the waters; I’ve never lived in a condo before, so this will be a big lifestyle change for me and will likely take a period of adjustment.  However I’m a pretty adaptable person, so I think I’ll be fine.  Most people tell me that I’ll love the condo life. 

I was never one to spend much time in my own backyard, perhaps because it was always small and boring.  Yard work is the bane of my existence; I can think of about a million other things I’d rather do with my time.  I mowed the lawn and plucked the weeds, but that was the extent of my gardening chores, so there’s nothing to miss there.  And although I don’t mind shoveling snow, I can’t say I ever skipped happily outdoors excited about the task that lay ahead.  So I’m not missing out in that regard either.  I suspect I will love it during the winter months, but the summertime may pose some problems.

I do love being outdoors, and when it’s sunny and warm, I despise being inside.  I have heard from some current and former condo owners that this is one drawback to condo life.  Of course you can still go outside, but it can be a nuisance at times.  We shall see I guess … is slipping on some shoes and taking an elevator down for a walk all that much harder than taking a few steps down my front porch?  Time will tell.

The condo itself is gorgeous.  It’s small of course, but I was actually surprised that it didn’t seem as small and claustrophobic as I expected.  Being the eternal numbers person, with each unit I considered I plugged the measurements into a spreadsheet and calculated the square footage, and also compared room to room dimensions.  The total square footage of the condo is a little over 100 square feet smaller than the equivalent living space I use right now in my home.  I’m missing out on the rooms in my house that are empty or never used.  As far as I’m concerned, less stuff to clean.

It’s never been lived in, so it’s shiny and new and sparkling clean, right up my alley !!  It’s fully upgraded … 4 brand new stainless steel appliances, ensuite laundry, hardwood and ceramic floors, upgraded fixtures, a walk in closet in the bedroom, and a small den that will become my new computer room. 

However the best part is the balcony and the view.  All the other places I saw had teeny tiny balconies, with some of them in the oddest locations … entries only through the bedroom ?!?!  My new home boasts a balcony that run along the entire width of the unit, expanding across the living room and bedroom.  The entry is through the living room via sliding glass doors, adjacent to floor to ceiling windows filling the remainder of the back wall.  With its southern exposure that means I’ll get plenty of that sunshine I love so dearly.  The 10th floor landscape consists of a clear and unobstructed view of the Toronto skyline and the CN Tower, the newly revitalized 500+ acre Downsview Park (site of the infamous Molson Canadian Rocks for Toronto concert, aka SARS Concert in 2003), and the prismatic lighted runway of the Toronto/Downsview Airport.

Sweet !!! 

Another added benefit is that’s it’s directly across from Downsview Station, the last stop of the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line that leads directly to downtown Toronto.  I can walk across the street, jump on the subway and be in the heart of T.O. in about 10-15 minutes without the concern of parking, traffic or watching how much I have to drink ;-)  I see lots of trips to the city in my future.  And the building has some great amenities; the gym is one of the best I’ve seen, an indoor pool, sauna and whirlpool … oh ya, and an indoor golf simulator free to all residents.  I swear that didn’t influence my decision, but what a great perk. 

I was born and raised in Toronto, and unlike most of my siblings that live in small towns north of here, I’m a city girl at heart.  I feel like I’m finally coming home :)


4 comments:

  1. Tina if i won a lot of money that is what i would be living in. mable not in Toronto but in Ottawa i will live in a apt there hope you come to see me I do not like House living. you are going love Condo life. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until you move to Ottawa Ellen !! I will definitely come out for plenty of visits once you are there :) Love you too xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could get a TN visa as an accountant, and work with fitness clients in the evenings or weekends.

    http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/citizens/tn_visa.xml

    http://www.nafta-sec-alena.org/en/view.aspx?x=343&mtpiID=147#Ap1603.D.1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tina - contrats. Glad you found a place and it sounds great. (Sure the golf this didn't influence you - yeah right). LOL. I don't think your blog said when you make the big move (didn't feel like reading it all over again). Nat :) :)

    ReplyDelete