April 21, 2011

You can't steal second base if you don't take your foot off of first

On one of my many sleepless nights last week, rather than toss and turn and stare mindlessly into the dark abyss of my bedroom, I decided to try and be a bit more productive and opened up my iPad.  Before long I found myself jumping onto my own blog and going back to Day 1 and re-reading all my past entries. Truth be told it took me 2 nights to get through all of them ... I wasn't kidding when I said I like to talk a lot !!

I was actually quite surprised as I read through some of the earlier posts. For starters, I'm a little blown away at how far I've come. I suppose when you're living it, you don't quite realize the progress you've made.  But as I looked back, when I started writing it just 8 short months ago, my world was completely different than it is today. 

I was lost :(  I had no direction and my life was in turmoil. I was stressed to the max and scared to death at my future prospects, or lack thereof.  And even though I titled my blog "Changing My Career", I wasn't really sure where I was headed. 

Now however, things look starkly different in my little world.

   I've sold my house and moved to a different city, and to a condo nonetheless !!
   I've rid myself of debt, and I gotta say - god bless being debt free :)
   I'm very close to completing my first course and becoming officially certified as a Personal Trainer
   And most important of all, I finally have direction in my life

I'm confident and certain of my future, and extremely pleased with the choices I've made.  I will never again don that icky green accounting visor. It was a pretty pukey colour anyway.

If I must say so myself ... you've come a long way baby ;)

Another revelation discovered as I perused my own blogosphere was the change in my mood and my attitude, as well as my overall outlook on life.  Of course ridding myself of stress was a huge contributing factor, but I honestly believe making a conscious and concerted effort to bring happiness into my life is the real secret to my success. I rid myself of stress because I decided to ... and I made the necessary changes in my life to ensure it. Some were forced upon me (like getting fired), but the rest were my decision. Some were major and some were minor, but all of them helped build the stepping stones to lift me to where I am today.

Surprisingly since going through my own personal diary-to-the-world, sleep has come much easier lately too.

Life's good :)  It's not perfect, but I challenge the person who claims their life to be perfect.  Sure I have my moments; why just a week or so ago I blogged about the return of my funk. But if you recall I referred to it as more of a restlessness.  I think I'm just eager to continue along this wonderful ride I've been on ... patience is definitely not one of my virtues.  I think I've finally learned to appreciate this roller coaster and enjoy it as I do at the amusement park.  It's scary as hell but at the same time it's exhilarating.

And as much as I hate to admit it, all those self-help books I read really did help ... myself :s  Don't get me wrong, I don't see myself attending an Anthony Robbins seminar anytime in the near future, or ever for that matter. I just feel that they helped me realize that no one is responsible for my own success and my own happiness except me. And a HUGE contributor to happiness and success is your attitude towards it.  It wasn't easy and was (is) one helluva bumpy ride, but by george I think I've got it.

I leave you with yet another inspirational quote I came upon just last night in my Personal Trainer text, by one of the more popular past U.S. Presidents, Calvin Coolidge:

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Go Cal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment